(GUS casts can be viewed here- https://youtu.be/W3Cu4BTOvYg)
GUS is an acronym for “Gulder Ultimate Search,” a very popular reality television show where the successfully chosen contestants are given tasks (intellectual and physical) and always searching for a missing treasure.
The contestant who finds the missing treasure is always rewarded handsomely in cash and with material things.
GUS kicked off in the early 2000s. The first edition of GUS was in 2004. The reality show was aired consecutively for eleven years before the organizers stopped the show abruptly. It stopped in the year 2014.
Several reality shows like BBNaija, Maltina Dance Hall, Maltavator challenge, Dance with Peter, and so on merged in the absence of GUS.
Regardless of the introduction of these other reality shows, people still yearned for GUS to return on the widescreen as most of them said it is better than other reality shows.
Fast forward to 2021, the organizers decided to satisfy people’s yearnings and brought back the GUS show.
This year’s edition of GUS is season 12. The theme is “Age of Craftsmanship.” Only 18 contestants made it to the jungle out of the thousands that auditioned for the show.
The GUS 2021 anchor is Toke Makinwa, while the Taskmaster is Kunle Remi. Kunle Remi was a contestant in the GUS show in 2010; season 7 precisely.
What is Gulder Ultimate Search (GUS) 2021 storyline?
There lived a mysterious craftsman named Akolo that decided to live in a small town, Ijuka. Akolo settled down amongst the blacksmiths and woodcarvers. He had an exceptional brew skill that brought fame his way in Ijuka and beyond Iuka.
Unknown to people, Akolo used ingredients he got from trading his great works with European merchants.
The king soon heard of his fame and appointed Akolo to be a member of his advisory council.
Akolo did not reveal his secret to anyone, not even to the king he was so close to. His fame grew, and trading routes began to pass through Ijuka. He became very successful. As Akolo’s success was rising, so was his enemy rising.
His enemies envied his great wisdom and closeness to the king and wanted to kill him. Several attempts to kill him proved abortive.
When Akolo could not take it any longer, he left Ijuka Town for the mangrove forest with his secret brew recipe and all his knowledge.
His absence affected Ijuka town and was soon laid to waste by foreign invaders.
Hence, the council of elders chose 18 brave warriors comprising 14 men and four women to go back in time to “The Age of Craftsmanship” to search for the iron chest containing Akolo’s secrets.
These 18 selected warriors have proved their bravery after defeating thousands and making it into the jungle. They must also prove they are worthy of retrieving the iron chest of the wise craftsman, Akolo.
Who are the 18 contestants of the Gulder Ultimate Search (GUS) 2021?
- Opeyemi: Opeyemi is an I.T. expert. He wants to become a Scrum Master. He plays basketball for Leisure and loves climbing mountains. He is a Yoruba boy; he is from the western part of Nigeria.
- Tobechukwu: Tobechukwu is an Igbo boy; he is from the eastern part of Nigeria. He is from Anambra State. He is a part-time student. He enjoys watching football. He is a fan of real Madrid. He is smart, creative and wouldn’t shy away from any challenge that comes his way.
- Olayinka: Olayinka is a Yoruba boy; he is from the western part of Nigeria. He is an artist, a writer, and a content creator. He considers himself to be jovial and down to earth. He has a great sense of humor. He wants to be an A-list musician, and redefine the afro-pop genre.
- Mfon Esin: Moon is from the south-south. He is from Akwa-Ibom. He enjoys the game of soccer. He is an ardent supporter of Arsenal F.C. He likes adventure, writing, and reading. He is a Casanova and considers himself uniquely charming. He dislikes injustice and would go to any length to ensure people are treated right.
- Odudu Ime Otu: Odudu is from the south-south. He is from Akwa-Ibom state. He is an athlete and enjoys playing basketball. He wants to be a model. He owns his Non-For-Profit Organization. He aspires to play basketball at a professional level and also become a business consultant. Lebron James is his role model.
- Osasere Agbonile Junior: Osas is from the south-south. He is from Edo state. He is a fitness instructor, a model, and also plays football in the State Amateur league. He also likes to enjoy life behind the camera as a part-time actor. He aspires to own his NGO to cater to the less privileged, hoping to give them hope for a better future. He is 32 years old.
- Estima Edem: Edem is from the South-South. She is from Akwa Ibom. She is a graduate of accounting. She is a model and a caterer. She plans to model for major brands. She runs an NGO which takes care of the needy by providing basic needs (clothes, food, etc.) She thinks she has all it takes to beat the world and come out top.
- Rachael Kafayat Bello: Rachael is a Yoruba lady. She is from the western part of Nigeria. She is a good cook and loves to sing. She owns her own soap brand, and she is a part-time realtor. She is a graduate of microbiology and indulges in her part-time passion for tie and dye in her spare time.
- Inabasi Eme Umoren: Anabasis is from the South-South. He is from Akwa ibom state. He studied computer technology. He loves to sing and produce music. He was the winner of the “Kill Me Beat” competition in 2018. His stage name is “Saint Bond.” He has a black belt ( Shotokan Karate). He plans to entertain the viewers. He says he will be the “life of the party.” during the show.
- Orevaoghene: Orevaoghene is from the south-south. He is from Edo state. He runs his own event lighting company. He is a graduate of Electrical Electronics. He plays the bass guitar. He is a model. He aspires to grow his business and offer unique services.
- Tosin: Tosin is a Yoruba boy. He is from the western part of Nigeria. He works as an air-traffic control simulator officer at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology Kaduna. He is married and has a daughter. He has mastered the art of multitasking and can read, write, and talk simultaneously without losing concentration. He has a flair for MCing and being a talk show host. It is his 5th attempt into GUS. He plans to be the Ultimate man and not the second fiddle.
- Damilola Odedina: Damilola is a Yoruba boy. He is from the western part of Nigeria. He is a cinematographer and a video editor. He has a first degree in Economics and a post-graduate degree in journalism. He believes that every gift and talent one possesses should be for the good of humanity. He has a passion for sports development and hopes to be a catalyst to transform the Nigerian sports sector into a money-spinning sector.
- Chidinma Okeibe: Chidinma is an Igbo girl. She is from the eastern part of Nigeria. Human resources manager and a project assistant. She also functions as a digital marketer. She was a teacher. She has a passion for teaching the younger generation how to make the right career choice. She believes every woman should be empowered in Today’s world and supports girl child education.
- Emmanuel Nnebe: Emmanuel is an Igbo boy. He is from the eastern part of Nigeria. He is a paralegal and a model. He was the face of Sapphire 2020. He is self-motivated with a desire to be a lawyer someday. He plans to start a fashion school in the nearest future. He is writing a book and looks forward to publishing it in the nearest future.
- Solomon Yankari: Solomon is from the Northern part of Nigeria. He is from Bauchi. He is the only northerner in the house. He is a fitness instructor, a personal trainer, and owns a gym in Bauchi. He loves to explore, and he is working towards building a fitness and music community. He aspires to be successful in the fitness industry and to build a gym franchise.
- Gerald Odeks: Gerald won Gold, silver, and bronze at the 2012 edition of the National Sports Festival and was at the World Athletics Championship in Russia in 2013. He hopes to bring good content to the show and create a platform for himself that he plans to build on after the show.
- Damola Johnson: Damola is a Yoruba boy. He is from the western part of Nigeria. He is a film director, a media executive, and a writer. He is a business developer within the tech industry. He owns a motion picture company and hopes that his movie will be on the big screen one day.
- Jennifer Goodness Okorie: Jennifer is an Igbo girl. She is from the eastern part of Nigeria. She is a student of philosophy. She runs a small fashion business. She is an athlete and loves listening to different genres of music. She swims to relax and plans to be a broadcaster at graduation.
Frequently asked questions about GUS
What is the location for Gulder Ultimate Search (GUS) 2021?
Its setting is in a jungle.
What edition is Gulder Ultimate Search 2021?
This year’s edition is Season 12. Season 11 was in the year 2014.
Who are the anchor and Taskmaster for GUS 2021?
The anchor is Toke Makinwa, while the Taskmaster is Kunle Remi. Kunle Remi was a contestant in the GUS show in 2010; season 7 precisely.
What is the theme for Gulder Ultimate Search 2021?
The theme for this year’s edition is “Age of Craftsmanship.”
How many successful contestants for Gulder Ultimate Search 2021?
Only 18 contestants were selected to battle it out in the jungle and then find the missing treasure.
How long will the Gulder Ultimate Search 2021 contestants stay in the jungle?
They would in the jungle for up to three weeks.
What is the prize gift for Gulder Ultimate Search 2021 winner?
The ultimate man will go home with over 50 million worth of prizes. The other contestants stand a chance to win from the N20 million worth of silver cash prizes.
Where can you watch Gulder Ultimate Search season 12?
You can watch the Gulder Ultimate Search (GUS) show on Saturday and Sunday on Africa Magic Showcase (DStv channel 151), Africa Magic Urban (DStv channel 153), and Africa Magic Family (DStv channel 154 & GOtv channel 2).
Time: 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Repeat: Africa Magic Showcase (DStv channel 151) on Tuesday at noon.
Africa Magic Urban (DStv channel 153) on Wednesday at noon.
Africa Magic Family (DStv channel 154 & GOtv channel 2) on Thursday at noon.
What tribe dominates the Gulder Ultimate Search (GUS) season 12?
Most of the contestants are from south south. The contestants are mostly from Akwa Ibom.
What other show do people want to return?
Who wants to be a millionaire. It was anchored by Frank, and sponsored by MTN.