Dowen College has been shut down by the Lagos State Government till further notice pending the results of the investigation 12-year-old pupil, Sylvester Oromoni JR. who died right under their nose.
It was gathered that Sylvester, a J.S.S 2 Delta State male student of the school was killed by his schoolmates, those in senior class for refusing to join their cult. Sylvester was given a poisonous substance to drink and was beaten close to death right on the school premises. He was beaten to the extent that he could not stand well. His mouth was swollen and black; he was beaten blue-black. He died a few minutes after he was rushed to the hospital. He died on Tuesday, November 30th, 2021. He died four days to his December 4th birthday.
Before his death, Sylvester mentioned all the names of five students that had bullied him, as well as beat him. They are all senior boys of Dowen College; Benjamin Favour, Anselm Temile, and Kasamo Michael, the remaining two names have not been disclosed. Faces have been matched to these names which we used as a display picture.
The closure of Dowen College was announced by Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo after a meeting with the management and staff of the school on Friday.
The school management initially wanted to put the school’s activities on hold for two days- Friday 3rd and Monday 6th of December which they had sent out newsletters. View the newsletter below:
The email Dowen college sent to parents,
“In view of the current situation concerning the school and considering the emotions of our students, we have advised that our students stay home tomorrow Friday 3rd and Monday 6th.
“This will also afford the students opportunity to revise for their forthcoming examinations starting next week.
“Thank you for your understanding.”
After the school was closed, it was gathered that some people were attempting to burn down the school if it continued its operations.
It is not the best time for Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos at the moment.
The co-educational day and boarding secondary school with over 20 years record of excellence has its name soiled already via the juvenile delinquency of some of its senior students.
Everybody is seeking justice for Sylvester with the hashtag #justiceforsylvester. All of us @Ogefash also seek justice. The culprits should face severe consequences for their actions. Their act is so cruel.
Unfortunately, the parents of the killers of Sylvester hear about their children’s terrible misconduct, and the next thing they attempt is to fly them abroad. But, their plans have failed. Any further attempt to sneak their children out would fail because their names and faces are now out there.
Sylvester Oromoni’s story went viral on Wednesday after his cousin Perrison Oromoni @perrisonoromoni tweeted about it.
View his post below:
Perrison Oromoni @perrisonoromoni, who is Sylvester Oromoni JR’s cousin said:
“This is my 12-years-old cousin that was beaten to death at a school that cost over 1 million naira. They called my uncle saying he got injured playing football. Reaching the hospital, it was confirmed that he was being bullied and beaten up causing internal damages. They tried to put him in a cult, he refused and they killed him. In a secondary school. They beat him to death. We’re from Delta State, but he goes to a boarding school in Lekki. They called my uncle because his son was injured when he was playing football. Reaching the hospital, it was confirmed that he was being bullied and beaten up, causing internal damages. After tests and X-rays, it was confirmed he was beaten up badly. He died yesterday (Tuesday) morning, and his entire body was swollen.”
Meanwhile, Sylvester’s friend also confirmed the torture of Sylvester by the senior students in a recently released video. Sylvester’s friend stated that he was beaten. According to her, she saw one of the culprits jumping over a fence. She further pointed out that a convoy came and carried another of the culprits.
How Dowen College is at fault?
- They lied that Sylvester died due to the injury he had during sports.
- The school denied that the allegations against the school were not true.
- The killer students lied about their involvement in it, and they let them go.
- The school lied that Sylvester Oromoni JR was not bullied, or did not fight anyone, and was not attacked.
- Dowen College called the wealthy parents of the students that had killed Sylvester to come and pick them, which they did.
- Sent a letter to all parents of the school about students staying at home for two days but did not refer to the death of Sylvester. The school linked the two-day-closure and pupil stay-at-home to the current happenings and the emotional disposition of its pupils. It lied that they wanted the pupils to revise for their forthcoming examinations.
- The students that killed Sylvester Oromoni, were temporarily suspended from the school after they bullied Sylvester and asked him to describe his sister’s private parts. The school called them back without monitoring their actions afterward.
What do you all think?