The “Russo-Ukrainian War,” that is, the ongoing war between Russia (Together with the pro-Russian separatist forces) and Ukraine is a continued war following the 2014 Ukrainian Revolution of Dignity.
Russia conquered Crimea, and Russian-backed separatists seized part of the south-eastern Donbas region of Ukraine.
Where is Russia situated?
Russia is a transcontinental country spanning two continents, Asia and Europe. About 77% of Russia’s area is in Asia while the western 23% of the country is located in Europe.
Who is the president of Russia?
Where is Ukraine situated?
Ukraine is a country situated in the central part of Eastern Europe, on the crossroads of major transportation routes from Europe to Asia.
Who is the president of Ukraine?
When did the Ukraine-Russia War start?
The war started on Thursday, February 24, 2022.
Who started the war? Which country invaded first?
Russia was the first to launch a full-scale invasion. Full-scale invasion means they came in fully loaded with various resources needed for war. Their act has been considered an act of aggression in the international community.
Russia has been accused of breaking international law and violating Ukrainian sovereignty. Many countries implemented economic sanctions against Russia, Russians, and companies.
What has the invasion caused?
- This Ukraine and Russia war has cost a lot of lives.
- Over 4.4 million Ukrainians have left the country and a quarter of the population displaced.
- A lot of people have now become refugees in other countries seeking safety.
What caused the Ukraine –Russia war?
It started as a result of the Ukrainian Revolution of Dignity in 2014, and initially focused on the status of Crimea and parts of the Donbas, internationally recognized as part of Ukraine.
In the late 2021- early 2022, there was a Russian military build-up on the Russia-Ukraine border (that is, a border both countries share). Russia gathered up to 190,000 troops along with their equipment. Russia was accused by NATO ( North Atlantic Treaty Organization) of planning an invasion, but they denied it. They afterward invaded Ukraine in February.
Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, believes that the eastward expansion of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation) since the early 2000s is a threat to Russia’s security. He demanded Ukraine be barred from ever joining the military alliance.
Putin accused Ukraine of being dominated by neo-Nazis who persecute the ethnic Russian minority. He also believes that Ukraine was created by Soviet Russia and doesn’t have the right to statehood.
Latest Update on Ukraine-Russia War
- Rockets hit a railway station in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kramatorsk on Friday. According to reports, a suspected Russian airstrike on a train station.
- About 52 people were killed and 98 injured in the attack on the Kramatorsk station.
- The bodies of the dead have been removed from the scene of the missile strike with traces of dried blood and some evidence of human remains. There was evidence of a burnt child’s body. Cars parked outside the station were destroyed.
- Ukraine’s state railway company has urged residents of eastern Ukraine to use trains, because in the coming days there may be an intensification of hostilities